When we were first presented with the idea of having to reduce the toxic load in our home environment Damian and I were a little apprehensive. “Why haven’t we been told this before?” “Is this lady taking us for a ride?” “Why do we have to change everything if the government thinks it’s ok to put on the supermarket shelf?” These were some of the questions we were contemplating in 2015 when we were searching for another way forward to reach our health goals and to reach our ultimate goal of starting a family.
We had just been told by the fertility specialist that we would have to use a donor egg to start a family, and now we were told that changing our external environment and our internal environment was going to increase our chances of falling pregnant naturally. We were so excited but we were also wary, we knew we were desperate but we also wanted to make sure we weren’t being taken for a ride. So we decided the best way forward was to dive in, head first into the internet and research and find out whatever we could in order to really buy in to this new way of living. This included reducing our toxic load in the house but also in our food, reducing our stress and using plant based, natural medications over the synthetic stuff.
Wow, there is so much research!!!!!! There is so, so much information on the internet if you are looking. Why isn’t this in the mainstream? Why are we not being told these things? Once I saw what was happening we decided that the way forward was to get rid of all our current personal care and cleaning products and start again. Why are we using chemicals on our bodies, with our skin being our biggest organ, when we can find beautiful, ethical, sustainable brands that are plant based. We all know how good plants are for us.
Our journey involved searching through many, many, many websites, many ingredient lists, online low tox courses and of course trial and error. I will share with you a few tools that helped us reduce our toxic load and start to clean up our internal environment so our bodies could detoxify when we needed.
- The Low Tox Life podcast: Alexx Stuart is the brains behind the brand and had a health journey which led her down this path. She has done some incredible interviews and I have loved every one of her podcasts so far. There are even hormone and fertility specific podcasts to look at.
- The Low Tox Life e-course: Wow, so much more info here, if you want to get to the bottom of your low tox needs then do this course! It was so informative and she gives so much content for the price. I am so impressed with this course and I hope some of you will jump over there and do the course. It will be worth every cent to your health.
- Skin Deep Website : You can write in the search bar all of your products (well, most of them) and find out the toxicity level for yourself. You can also type in each ingredient and work out the toxicity level. Then you start to know what kind of ingredients you should be avoiding. (Phenoxyethanol, fragrance, parfum, perfume, SLS, Parabens etc) These are all known endocrine disruptors and should be moved quickly out of your cupboard.
- Think Dirty App: Free app to download and type in your products to see the toxicity level. I think it is American so maybe not every single Australian Product is in there so make sure you search around.
- Chemical Maze App: This guy saved me so much time. This is the Skin Deep website in an app. Write in your ingredients (food and cosmetics) and you will get a little green man, or a little red man to tell you whether its to be avoided or not. (He is $10.99AUD)
6. Love.Oil.Collective: You can also come to my low tox workshops (if you are in Perth, WA) and find out some great ways of reducing your toxic load and using plant based alternatives to clean your home and use for personal care. The Love.Oil.Collective was founded because of my passion to teach others what I had learnt. If I had gone through 3 years of fertility treatment and not known about this then how are others supposed to find out. I want to share this information with people, before they have to find out because of a health issue, or have to begin medical treatment when there are so many options to improve your health.
If you have any questions just hit me up and I will answer them the best I can. Learning why we should go low tox is the best way to make it sustainable and a life long habit. So start looking into it today and your future self, children and family will thank you for it!